The Brunswick Coca-Cola Bottling Company, founded in 1903, originally produced Coca-Cola along with soda and mineral water at Ludwig Bottling Works on Bay Street. In 1905, Mr. L. Ludwig merged his company with G.W. Cline who operated the Brunswick Steam Laundry on Richmond Street, where one boiler could be used for both steam cleaning clothes and washing bottles.
The company was incorporated in 1907 as the Brunswick Coca-Cola Bottling Company. During 1912, it was purchased by J.L. Andrews and O.F. Copeland and Sons, where Mr. A.B. Copeland served as manager. This began a Brunswick Coca-Cola family connection that was to last over seventy years.
O.F. Copeland was considered a pioneer in the promotion of Coca-Cola in Georgia. During the company’s early years, he and his sons and grandsons invested in plants in Lagrange, Athens, Cornelia, Woodbury, and Sylvania as well as Brunswick. In 1917, the plant moved to Newcastle Street. M.A. Copeland Sr., became manager in 1921 and later bought out J.L. Andrew’s interest to become president. In 1929, the company moved to its present location on Mansfield Street where Coca-Cola was bottled until the mid 1980’s.
The Brunswick Coca-Cola Bottling Company remained in the Copeland family until 1988 when it was purchased by Coca-Cola Bottling Company United, Inc., headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama.
Brunswick Coca-Cola and its 45+ employees are proud of our continued support of the many civic and charitable organizations serving our communities.