Hattiesburg Coca-Cola Bottling Company, founded May, 1906, was first located on 2ndStreet and enjoyed sales of $275 during the first week of operation. In 1915, the plant expanded to a larger location on Market Street, where the company operated during two world wars.
Hattiesburg Coca-Cola Bottling Company was owned by the Thomson family for 86 years. W. A. Thomson, pictured above, managed the company for 46 of those years from 1921 until 1967.
In 1939, the first coin operated vending machine arrived in the Hattiesburg area.
Between 1942-1945, Hattiesburg Coca-Cola operated around the clock in an attempt to meet the demands Camp Shelby had placed on the area. During the three years of overtime operation, the company produced more than 1.25 million cases of Coca-Cola per year; the plant was designed for less than half that amount. In 1955, operations moved into a new plant on Hwy. 49 South. With the consolidation of Picayune and Columbia Coca-Cola Bottling Company into the Hattiesburg franchise, sales volume continued to increase causing the company to relocate in 1978 to a facility on Hwy 98 where we remain today.
In 1992, Hattiesburg Coca-Cola began operating under, what is today, the third largest bottler in the nation, Coca-Cola Bottling Company United, Inc., headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama. Upon the announced retirement of Bill Martin, General Manager, who held a leadership position for 20 years in the company. Mr. Brad Brian assumed the role as the Mississippi Division Manager and Vice President in 1994 and retired in December, 2012. Today, Mr. Russ Hendley serves as the Mississippi Division Manager and Vice President.
Hattiesburg Coca-Cola and its 120+ employees are proud of our continued support of many civic and charitable organizations serving our communities.