SavannahHistory

In 1866, the recipe for Coca-Cola was created by Atlanta  pharmacist Dr. John StithPemberton. In 1891, Asa Candler acquired ownership of the recipe for $2,300 which progressed into the incorporation of The Coca-Cola Company.  In Atlanta, on July 21, 1899, Asa Candler sold the bottling rights to Benjamin Thomas and Joseph Whitehead, both lawyers from Chattanooga for $1 although Mr. Candler never collected the $1.  This agreement allowed Thomas and Whitehead to began bottling and distributing Coca-Cola within the United States.  They built their first bottling operation in Chattanooga, TN.

In 1902, Savannah Coca-Cola was founded in Savannah, Georgia on East Bay Street.  Coca-Cola was originally produced in 6.5 ounce bottles and distributed by mule and wagon. During those years, John Poindexter, Jr. succeeded his father, John Poindexter, Sr, in 1936, assuming the position of President of Savannah Coca-Cola.

As Sprite, Tab and Fresca became part of the Coca-Cola portfolio in the 1960’s, the endeavor to provide refreshment for every occasion was in motion. It was in the 1970’s, and under the leadership of Peter Steward, Mr. Pibb, Mello Yello and the 2 Liter bottle was introduced to the Savannah area.  Production of Coca-Cola products continued in Savannah until 1987, when Augusta Coca-Cola assumed production responsibilities.

In 1980,  Savannah Coca-Cola relocated to the Pooler area where it is still located today. Shortly after, in 1982, the bottling company was joined with Coca-Cola Bottling Company United, Inc., headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama.

Today, we continue to stand behind our core values of quality, integrity, respect and excellence.  Savannah Coca-Cola and it’s 200 + employees are proud to serve the #1 Soft Drink in the world and to support our customers, consumers, associates and our communities through many civic and charitable organizations.